Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Exchange

Yesterday our French exchange student returned home. Although she was very sweet I breathed a sigh of relief when she left, because being on one's best behavior for two weeks is tiring, to say nothing of trying to pretend that you keep a clean house.
The first week she was here I'm pretty sure she was homesick. She was quiet and seemed unhappy, and the first weekend she was here she cried sad, silent tears as we went round the grocery store. When I asked her what was wrong she said the cupcake she had eaten didn't agree with her... I asked her friend what was wrong but the friend said she didn't know..I felt bad and I didn't know what to do.
The second week she seemed to cheer up quite a bit as she recovered from the jetlag, and appeared to enjoy herself more. By the time she and her classmates left, she gave the impression that she had had a fun trip.
Today she sent me a friend request on facebook, which I accepted immediately. I was at work and my two classroom staff wanted to see a picture of her, so we looked at some of her pictures. As we scrolled through photos of her in her pool, with her ten horses, in front of one of her parents' convertible mercedes, climbing up the giant wrought iron gates to the driveway of her giant house, my TA Jason said "If I had to come to your house from all that I'd be crying too, I'm not gonna lie..."

No comments: