Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

School Daze

First day of middle school for my daughter. Boohoo they grow up so fast etc etc.Unfortunately she has the same teachers that her brother had- I advised her that even though she carries the Name of Shame she can prove that she is not a juvenile delinquent simply by going to class and doing the homework. Yes my son, it really would have been that simple. Last year after being booted out of his fabulous private high school my son ended up at the Worst High School in the country (possibly the world). Due to all the credits he brought with him, he was able to graduate a year early...except that he FAILED English (he was possibly the only native speaker in the school). So then he had to go to summer school, instead of being a camp counselor and hanging out with college chicks all summer long. He was grounded, obviously, so he told me there were after-school workshops he was attending, like the 9 hour poetry workshop that ran til 8pm...hmmm. Busted, he then tried to cut class to hang out with his friends. I stormed the school SS style, scared the teachers, my son got busted AGAIN, and I kicked him out of the house. He spent his summer living with a Mexican family who loved him, and hitting up his private school friends on the weekends, swimming in their pools, playing basketball on their basketball courts, and then on Mondays being driven to school by his friends in their hybrid vehicles that I could never afford. It wasn't quite the mean streets life lesson I was hoping for, but he passed his class and graduated from high school so I suppose that's the main thing right?
Anyway, I took my daughter to school this morning and you know when you see that teacher that you sent that email to when you were really tired and pissed off and it was quite long and said things like if you don't like teaching maybe you should get another job and if sarcasm and condescension are such great teaching tools maybe I should incorporate them into my own teaching and a bunch of other stuff that you can't quite remember and you realize she's still your kid's teacher and you have to smile at her and say good morning?
Me neither.

No comments: