Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Those who can't, teach

The school where I work is Special.
A couple of weeks ago I was going back to class and my classroom teacher was walking towards me with one of our students, C. When i passed by them in the hallway C grabbed me by the throat and tried to punch me in the face. Actually his fist made contact with my face but it didn't really hurt ( he didn't have his full force behind it).
Today I spent two hours barricading the door of our classroom with my foot and my body, trying to keep a raging C outside in the hallway with another staff member, as other members of our classroom team kept the classroom going as if nothing was happening. C attacked three staff members today, the first one just minutes after getting off the big yellow bus this morning. Another one of our kids, T, had a melt down, threw his desk over and had to be proned on the floor by three staff. ( This is why our staff ratios are so high). After going to the break area he banged the wall, spat and swore like a drunk,mad sailor. "You fuckin fat ass bitch n*****" ad nauseum.
Earlier I helped a 26 year old teacher from another classroom prone an eight year old boy with blue eyes, sandy hair and the face of an angel who told us " I'm gonna fuck you up you fuckin bitches" while trying to head butt, kick, and spit at both of us in turn. When we got him down to the ground, he banged his head and started to cry, like the child that he really is. It made me sad.
Then I found out he told everyone he'd been proned by two old ladies-dude I'm the same age as LL Cool J or Demi Moore-and the other teacher is only 26!
(Actually I still feel kind of sad for him, truth be told).
I can't help thinking that a job like this should pay enough to live on, so that i'd only need the one job instead of the four, so that I wouldn't have to go from a day like that to doing massages at the spa when my foot is aching from being wedged against the classroom door resisting a 200lb 19 year old male with MR (mental retardation) who is trying to attack me.

No comments: